Firefighter Salary Around The Country
I’m going to run you through the firefighter salary pay rates for all the fire services around Australia, or most of them, to give you an idea of what you’re going to get paid as a firefighter. Then I’m going to do an average so that I answer that question broadly, but I’ll go as deep as possible on the data that we’ve got on the sheet behind it. I’ll also put the document up so you can download it if you want it all in one spot.
I’ll go through it all so it’s nice and easy to look at the service that you’re applying to and figure out how much you’re going to get paid. These figures are up to date as of, most of them, 2017. They’re as up to date as we could possibly get them at this point in time. So each year I’ll try and update this but this is how we’re going to do it for now.
- At QFES, a recruit firefighter is currently getting $2555.89 a fortnight. So times that by 26 and you get a yearly wage of $66,453.14.
- And the classification firefighter is $2651 per fortnight.
SAMFS pay rate as of 2014 through to 2017 is as written in this document here. So you’ll have to download that one to get that.
DFES or WA Fire Service pay rate as of 2016. So, this one is a little bit old but you’ll get an indicative idea.
- Trainee firefighter gets $69,000 per year which is probably the highest in the country I reckon, just off the top of my head. So $70,000 a year as a trainee.
- It goes up to $76,000 when you stop being a trainee, so a fifth class firefighter.
- First-class firefighters are on $91,000 which is pretty good.
- Senior firefighter, $95,000.
- Station officer, $107,000.
- SO2, $111,000.
- Area officer, $121,000.
- Right up there, Chief Superintendent at $150,000.
So that gives you a really good idea across the board of where you’re going to start. I’d say their starting wage is probably a higher one in the country. So you can earn anywhere from $60,000 to $150,000 in the fire service as a base rate.
Fire Rescue New South Wales
The next one is the pay rate for Fire Rescue New South Wales as of February 2017.
- A recruit firefighter weekly rate of pay from the 16th of Feb will be $1207 a week. So times that by 52 and you get the idea.
- Right up to the Inspector and he’s getting $2300 a week.
- When you’re a qualified firefighter it goes up to $1500 with Fire and Rescue New South Wales. Big pay rates and these are just the firefighter levels. I can give you an idea of the other levels.
- A recruit firefighter is earning $1000 a week. So $52,000 a year.
- This is a little bit less than the Western Australia pay rate which is $70,000, so $20,000 less as a recruit.
- Then you go on to Station and it bumps up to $400 extra a week which probably brings you a little bit closer.
- Right up a qualified firefighter at $1550 which is the same as New South Wales essentially.
ACT Fire And Rescue
ACT Fire and Rescue pay rates is another download. You just have to read that one yourself. It’s all in one spot at least.
Tasmania Fire Service
Tasmanian Fire Service pay rate.
- Trainee firefighter, this is as of 2010, so you can imagine this has gone up significantly, but $41,000 as a trainee.
- First-class firefighter, $55,000. So I would say this is probably more in line with Vic anyway.
That’s all we could get off their website.
ARFF pay rates as of 2017.
- Let’s say you start as a recruit, what’s a recruit getting? $35,000. That’s not great, that’s what it is.
- Trainee firefighter level one, $61,000 grand. So it increases significantly once you jump on board as a working firefighter.
- Leading firefighters is $87,000 which is pretty much in the mix.
- Then we’ve got SSO and SO, so sub-station officer, that’s the difference there. So, SO is actually a higher rank around $100,000 and the controls are $110,000.
So slightly less than average but all the same, not too bad.
Northern Territory, all of PFES.
- You’re going to start off on $64,000 as a recruit.
- It goes up to $67,000 and,
- Then your classes are between $70,000 and $82,000 as a firefighter.
- Senior and leading are around the $90,000 mark.
- Station officer is about $100,000 and,
- Senior station officer $107,000.
So slightly below average, I reckon just looking at it. But that’s the general gist of firefighter wages or firefighter salary for the different services around the country.
So if you looked at an average of, I reckon, on the safe side, starting around the $50,000 – $55,000 mark as a recruit and then once you qualify, look at $70,000 – $75,000. So to give you a broad idea hopefully this has been helpful.
I’m Brent Clayton and this is Firerecruitmentaustralia.com. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don’t miss any important updates and other news like this.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you Get The Edge over the competition