FRV Recruitment Process
The Complete FRV Recruitment Process
If you wish to learn more about the requirements and assessments required for FRV recruitment, please visit our comprehensive guide which is filled to the brim with expert insight and advice.
FRV Firefighter Interview
The interview comprises of both behavioural-based and general questions. The behavioural-based questions are an opportunity for you to demonstrate your knowledge, skills and attributes, through examples of past behaviour in different environments.
The interview process is simply your biggest opportunity in the entire process to beat your competition.
The interview is actually the least competitive aspect of the process as usually at interview they have culled hundreds or even thousands of applicants.
Do not assume that if you reach this stage, the interview is simply a formality; more candidates will be brought to interview than there are positions available.
At this stage, you might only have to be better than 20 other applicants. I like those odds much more than the 30/4000 at the WST stage of the process.
It is at this stage of the process I get really excited for the guys I work with because I know if they simply follow my training and show up to their coaching sessions they are almost guaranteed a job.
If you take what I’m saying above seriously and take action on these items, that is how you become a firefighter in Victoria in the very shortest timeframe.
Understand what you will be subjected to before the medical. If you have something you are worried about it will pay to speak to someone confidentially before your medical, as there are things that can be done before it’s too late. I like to do this at the beginning with people I’m working with, as it allows us to remove doubt and focus on more fruitful activities that will get us a job.
CRIMINAL AND DRIVING HISTORY – Fire Rescue Victoria has the following rules
To be qualified for thought for arrangement as a FRV firefighter, candidates should be of acceptable character and will be surveyed by criminal, driving, and other fidelity checks. The earlier history of all candidates is considered comprehensively and dependent upon the situation. Inadequate or wrong data provided by a candidate may bring about the wiping out of an application or a rejection period being applied.
On the off chance that a candidate is unsure about their qualification, they can present a Wilful Revelation structure before they apply, laying out the data they might want explained.
A finding of blame incorporates feelings, alerts, redirections, great conduct securities and without conviction discoveries.
Firefighters are needed to drive crisis reaction apparatuses as a centre segment of their job, guaranteeing essential spotlight on the wellbeing of their group and the local area they serve. This incorporates driving under crisis reaction conditions when heading out to episodes and driving under ordinary street conditions while getting back from calls for help or leading routine checks of their support zone. It is thusly important that candidates can show a background marked by protected and mindful driving conduct.
Drink driving – Can I become a firefighter in Victoria If I’ve been convicted for drink driving?
- Alcohol level with a reading of 0.1% or more may be eligible to apply 10 years after the date of the offence.
- Alcohol reading is under 0.1% an applicant may be eligible 5 years after the date of the offence.
- If you have incurred eight or more demerit points at the time of application and at any stage up to an offer of employment you will be disqualified from the process.
- Traffic infringement notices as per the below guide you should request a copy of their driving record from your state or territory driving department such as VICROADS and email their report to recruitment for review.
In the last 3 year period have received 4 or more traffic infringement notices
In the last 5 year period have received 5 or more traffic infringement notices
In the past 10 year period have received 12 or more traffic infringement notices
Note: Does not include parking fines,
This is a summary adapted from Fire Rescue Victoria polices printed on their website 2020 (not exhaustive).
Tip – Check your Online presence because they will
Firefighter recruitment dates and outlook for Fire and rescue Victoria this year.
Victorian firefighter high school requirements
Skills, Attributes & Attitude Needed to Become a Firefighter in VIC
– Mindset: you need to be able to get into the right frame of mind to become a firefighter in Victoria, many people struggle with the journey and find the challenge insurmountable. If you can get this right from the start you’re half way there. Commit to the journey
– Develop skills and understanding around all aspects of the testing suite for the current intake.
– Attention to detail.
– Communication skills: you will need to develop extremely good communication and interpersonal skills.
– Positive winning attitude: every minute spent on an unproductive negative activity or conversation is a minute wasted that could be put to use. Don’t be like the masses.
If you need help around any of the issues I have listed in becoming a firefighter in VIC, click here to get help from me and my team