How to Become an Aviation Firefighter
Become an Aviation Firefighter
What is an Aviation Rescue Firefighter
Reported to me by serving aviation firefighters:
The main difference between aviation firefighters and civilian or statutory firefighters is that the job is obviously contained within the perimeter of the airports area of responsibility.
This means the frequency of actual firefights is significantly less and there is a much larger service delivery to the airport through administering first aid and Emergency medical response.
Airservices Aviation Rescue Fire Fighters work at 27 airports around Australia.
Being an Aviation Rescue Firefighter contributes to Australia's skies being safely, reliable, and efficient. Aviation firefighters to respond to airline, airport, and traveling public emergency and safety needs.
"A job with the Aviation Rescue Fire Fighters of Airservices is a career with a bright future"
What Does an Aviation Firefighter Do?
Majority emergency medical response, training, fire protection and various other emergency response.
Competition in Aviation Firefighter Recruitment
Airservices aviation firefighter is at the LOWER end when it comes to how competitive OR hard is it to get a job in the fire service in general. Although it is at the lower end it is still extremely competitive and the aptitude test is HARD in the scheme of firefighting aptitude tests.
Over the 10 years I have been following aviation firefighter recruitment with Airservices Australia and have figured out the formula to pretty much guarantee a spot if you apply yourself. This cannot be said for many jobs this competitive.
The amount of applicants fluctuates at the lower end of around an average of 1000 applications per intake depending on the recruitment and locations up for grabs.
The main reason for the aviation firefighter role being slightly more accessible is that it is a fraction less sought after mainly due to the lesser variety of response activities. Many people also use it as a stepping stone before going into a state fire service after spending some time.
Being an aviation firefighter is still an extremely good career that is highly skilled, highly competitive and respected. Being 1 of 20 out of 1000 puts you in the top 2%, which is a pretty decent achievement and one that will require skill, dedication and preparation.
I like to point out the expected competition from the beginning so you understand the potential and what may be required in order to beat these hundreds of other hopeful applicants.
Simply winging it in an application process to become an aviation firefighter will more than likely land you on the wrong side of the airport fence when the cards fall.
Firefighter recruitment dates and outlook for Fire and rescue ARFF this year.
Check your online presence because they will
Skills, Attributes & Attitude Required to Become an Aviation Firefighter
- Mindset: most people struggle with the journey and find the challenge insurmountable. If you can get this right from the start you're half way there. Get in to the right mindset and commit to the journey.
- Develop skills and understanding around all aspects of the testing suite for the current intake.
- Attention to detail.
- Communication skills: you will need to develop extremely good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Positive winning attitude: every minute spent on an unproductive negative activity or conversation is a minute wasted that could be put to use. Don't be like the masses.
TIP: Position Description is a gold mine in the right hands
- You have 1 opportunity to get this right so don't take any chances
- This is generally your first interaction with the service so make it count. Make it contribute to your success, it's a real opportunity to do just that.
- Read the instructions carefully an follow them to the letter. Sounds simple but so many people mess it up.
- Gain an understanding of what IS important to include and what IS NOT. You don't want to paint yourself in a dull light just because you don't fully understand what is superfluous and what is crucial to have on your application. You can be a great candidate but not a great writer so don't let this be the reason you're out of the game for another year.
TIP: Getting a second opinion from a suitably qualified professional before submitting could make or break you at this point. In my opinion If you can control the outcome of something it is wise to do everything in your power to do just that.
Aviation Firefighter Salary
Click the button below to go to the firefighter salary page where I keep an up to date firefighter aggregate salary for Australia as well as the current firefighter Aviation Firefighter Salary.
Baker D - Aviation Firefighter
See Baker's Case Study - After 5 unsuccessful attempts.
Use his experience to avoid missing out. Once this guy understood the process he has since gone on and gotten into another state fire service beating 4k applicants, from 5 fails to 2 successes in a row.
Airservices Firefighter Stations - Station Map
Aviation Firefighter Training Courses
Tools to save you wasting your time..
Firefighter Recruitment Bundle
What Every Applicant Needs To Know About Firefighter Recruitment Testing to Stand a Chance!
The bare minimum for anyone that claims to be "serious" about becoming a firefighter.
If you are currently preparing for the next firefighter recruitment intake. These guides give you simple details that help you prepare properly for every test you'll face and — the application process, the Aptitude, Personality, and Physical tests, and the Interview.
Get the Edge
Work With Me & My Team
Personalised coaching sessions based on decades of experience and tailored to your needs.
If you think you need that little bit of extra help to make it through the next recruitment intake or you're sick of missing out and not knowing why, then this may be perfect for you. Together, we'll work out a strategy that:
- Builds on your strengths and fills you with confidence and certainty
- Learn the reasons behind why people fail time and again so you don't
- Improve your weaknesses to eliminate points of failure
- Show you exactly what to expect so you can present the best version of yourself every step of the way.
Wherever you are in the process, and whatever challenges you’re facing right now, Working with us gives you step-by-step guidance, personal support, and resources not available anywhere else to help you get where you want to be in the quickest way possible. You don’t need to struggle on your own anymore!